This part of the website provides guidance to Parliamentarians about the new parliamentary work expenses framework starting 1 January 2018.
For further assistance, contact IPEA on (02) 6215 3000 or email enquiries [at] ipea.gov.au.
On this page you will find information about:
From 1 January 2018, as a Parliamentarian you must ensure that any expenditure for parliamentary business is consistent with a number of legislated principles.
As a Parliamentarian, you must comply with these principles when claiming any travel expenses.
The new Principles-Based Framework requires that Parliamentarians':
- use public resources for the dominant purpose of parliamentary business
- conduct their parliamentary business in a way that achieves value for money
- meet any conditions connected to expenses and allowances they claim
- are prepared to be personally responsible and accountable for their use of public resources in the conduct of their parliamentary business
- are prepared to publicly justify their use of public resources in conducting their parliamentary business, and
- act ethically and in good faith in using, and accounting for the use of, public resources in the conduct of their parliamentary business.
More information is available on the Principles-Based Framework.
‘Parliamentary business’ includes activities that fall within four streams:
- parliamentary duties: covers activities of the Parliamentarian that relate directly to the Parliamentarian’s role
- electorate duties: activities of the Parliamentarian that support or serve their constituents
- party political duties: activities of the Parliamentarian that are connected with both their political party and their membership of the Parliament
- official duties: activities that relate to the Parliamentarian’s role as an office holder or Minister.
As a Parliamentarian, you should be aware of changes to domestic, charter and international travel arrangements that come into effect from 1 January 2018 as part of the new expenses framework.
Further information on Parliamentary business is available in the Parliamentarians Business Resources (Parliamentary Business) Determination 2017.
- For travel related queries, contact IPEA on phone (02) 6215 3000 or email enquiries [at] ipea.gov.au (.)
- Additional information on the new Principles-Based Framework can be found on the Legislative Framework page.
- For all other work expense matters, phone (02) 6215 3542 for Parliamentarians' or (02) 6215 3333 for MOP(S) Act employees or email mpshelp [at] finance.gov.au.