Cabcharge use for MOP(S) Act staff - fact sheet
With the approval of their employing parliamentarian or their authorised person, MOP(S) Act staff may obtain a Cabcharge card for work-related taxi travel.
Cabcharge cards may only be used for travel in accordance with the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 2009, Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Enterprise Agreement 2020-23 and its supporting guidelines, and the Staff Travel and Relief Staff Arrangements Determination 2020/15.
The use of Cabcharge cards involves expenditure of public money. IPEA regularly reviews Cabcharge transactions to ensure Cabcharge cards are used appropriately. Reports detailing Cabcharge usage are sent to parliamentarians to certify that their staff are using their Cabcharge card in accordance with the governing legislative framework.
The current staff travel determination states that it is an employee’s responsibility (and hence the employee’s cost) to transport themselves to and from work for their normal hours of duty, even when travelling.
Staff can claim:
- Travel to and from the airport when travelling for official business
- Travel to and from official meetings
Staff cannot claim:
- Travel to and from the work base and home (apart from the exceptions listed below)
- Travel to and from the staff member’s work and accommodation, when travelling on official business away from their work base (apart from the exceptions listed below)
- Travel for personal or social events and activities
Staff may use their Cabcharge card while travelling on official business when:
- the trip is approved for personal safety reasons (for example, where the risk to personal safety is significantly increased due to the requirement to work late), or
- scheduled public transport services are not readily available, or
- the staff member is carrying luggage to/from the office for the purpose of the trip.
If you have questions, please contact IPEA on 02 6215 3000 or at email@example.com