IPEA has been established under the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority Act 2017 as an independent statutory authority with advisory, reporting and auditing responsibilities for the work expenses of parliamentarians and their staff.
The Parliamentary Business Resources Act
The Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017 (PBR Act) establishes the new parliamentary work expenses framework. It is a principles-based framework to cover parliamentarians' work expenses, requiring that the dominant purpose be parliamentary business for any expense claimed and an overriding principle of value-for-money for the Commonwealth.
The PBR Act was passed by the Parliament in May 2017.
The following information provides clarification on Parliamentary Business, Members who are Office Holders and Resources for former Prime Ministers:
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Parliamentary Business) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Office Holder) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (former Prime Ministers) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Preferred Providers) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Commonwealth Transport) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Canberra-based self-drive vehicle) Determination 2017
- Remuneration Tribunal (Members of Parliament) Determination 2018
The following information provides clarification on staff travel and relief staff arrangements:
The Parliamentary Business Resources Regulations
With effect from 1 January 2018, the Parliamentary Business Resources Regulations 2017 introduces a new principles-based work expenses framework that covers all travel and office expenses for Parliamentarians and their staff. These regulations accompany the Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017.
In relation to the PBR Act, a ruling can be given by IPEA as a written determination to establish whether a Parliamentarian has acted in accordance with Sections 26 (Dominant purpose test), 27 (Obligation to ensure value for money), or 28 (Obligation not to make claims or incur expenses in breach of conditions) of the PBR Act. A ruling can only relate to travel expenses and travel allowances. IPEA rulings are agreed by the Members of IPEA.
Further information on rulings is available in the Rulings [PDF 374 KB] Rulings [DOC 99.3 KB] Fact Sheet.