IPEA was established under the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority Act 2017 as an independent statutory authority with advisory, reporting and auditing responsibilities for the work expenses of parliamentarians and their staff.
The Parliamentary Business Resources Act
The Parliamentary Business Resources Act 2017 (PBR Act) established the parliamentary work expenses framework. It is a principles-based framework covering parliamentarians' work expenses, requiring that for any expense claimed, the dominant purpose be parliamentary business and that it represents value-for-money for the Commonwealth.
The following information provides clarification on parliamentary business, parliamentarians who are office holders and resources for former Prime Ministers:
- Remuneration Tribunal (Members of Parliament) Determination 2021
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Parliamentary Business) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Office Holder) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (former Prime Ministers) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Preferred Providers) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Commonwealth Transport) Determination 2017
- Parliamentary Business Resources (Canberra-based self-drive vehicle) Determination 2017
The following information provides clarification on staff travel and relief staff arrangements:
- Staff Travel and Relief Staff Arrangements Determination 2020/15 [PDF 733 KB]
- Travelling Allowance Arrangements Until 30 June 2021 Determination 2020/16 [PDF 191 KB]
The Parliamentary Business Resources Regulations
The Parliamentary Business Resources Regulations 2017 introduced a principles-based work expenses framework that covers all travel and office expenses for parliamentarians and their staff. These regulations were made under the PBR Act.
The PBR Act provides that IPEA may give a ruling, in writing, determining whether a parliamentarian has acted in accordance with sections 26 (Dominant purpose test), 27 (Obligation to ensure value for money), or 28 (Obligation not to make claims or incur expenses in breach of conditions) of the PBR Act. A ruling can only relate to travel expenses and travel allowances. IPEA rulings are agreed by the Members of IPEA.
Further information on rulings is available in the Rulings Fact Sheet [PDF 466 KB] [DOC 117 KB]. To apply for a ruling, complete the form, scan and email it to forms [at] ipea.gov.au.