Approval: Parliamentary delegations are approved by the Presiding Officers based on an annual program.
Costs that can be met:
- travel at no higher than business class
- unscheduled commercial transport within and between overseas countries
- accommodation costs
- meal costs
- pre-travel medical expenses, such as vaccinations
- emergency medical, dental or hospital expenses
- laundry and dry cleaning for parliamentarians
- an international travel incidental allowance of $63 per day for parliamentarians
- a travel equipment allowance of $430 once every three (3) years.
- Parliamentarians travelling on an overseas delegation may extend their travel dates, and/or be accompanied or joined by their spouse. In order to extend travel or take their spouse, the parliamentarian must make a saving on airfares that would otherwise be claimed (known as the notional fare). The total costs must not exceed the notional fare.
Hospitality costs of up to $2,500 may be claimed by the delegation, or $5,000 if the delegation is led by a Presiding Officer.