Approval: The Prime Minister approves international travel for a minister. International travel is subject to guidelines produced by the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
Costs that can be met:
- travel at no higher than business class
- unscheduled commercial transport within and between overseas countries
- accommodation costs
- meal costs
- pre-travel medical expenses, such as vaccinations
- emergency medical, dental or hospital expenses
- laundry and dry cleaning
- an international travel incidental allowance of $63 per day
- a travel equipment allowance of $430 once every three (3) years
- laundry and dry cleaning for staff where travel lasts at least seven (7) days
- an international travel incidental allowance of $40 per day for staff.
The Prime Minister may approve costs for the parliamentarian’s spouse and up to two (2) member(s) of the minister’s staff.
In addition, the minister’s portfolio department may cover costs for official hospitality, gifts, meeting venues and facilities, overseas security requirements and departmental officials accompanying the minister.